This has been by far my favorite reading that we have done so far. E.B. White is an amazing writer and I have enjoyed reading many of his other writings. This was a wonderful example of a remembering essay. While I was reading this I could picture the calm lake and the beautiful forest that surrounded him. And you can practically see the mans son sneaking out the front door in the early morning to go walking through the forest that had once captivated his father.
"It is strange how much you can remember about places like that once you allow your mind to return into the grooves that lead back." This is one of the most powerful statements I have ever heard. It shows just how powerful memory is. While I was reading this I was picturing the woods and the cabin that I stayed in this summer in North Carolina and I was amazed at how many small details I remembered.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I agree with you about the caliber of E.B. White's writing. The imagery in this essay especially was fantastic.
I also agree with k*strat it was phenominal writing. Also the imagery was some of the best I have ever SEEN. Good blog Kayla.
I find your like for the story interesting. I don’t mean that in an offensive way. I mean that maybe it’s possible that some one with something to remember as vividly as he had is more likely enough the story. I had nothing remotely interesting like this to remember and I think that is possibly why I didn’t enjoy it. This entry had made me come to the hypothesis that some one who has something to remember will enjoy the passage more because they have been reminded of their memory from the reading. This may possibly be parallel to one’s like or dislike of how descriptive E.B.White was also.
Post a Comment