While reading this essay I felt a little lost, the writter would often steer way off course and start to talk about some things that we not really that necessary. It was contradicting in some parts. But as I started reading the things the author was saying became a little more clear and I began to understand what Lamott was talking about. I know that for me the hardest part of any writting is the beginning, so I think the authors advice that the "first draft is the childs draft"(75)
and that you should just write anything that comes to your mind is very helpful. She told us that it is ok for the first draft to be a complete disaster and everyone (except on person) has the same problem. Lamott also says that ....you need to start anywhere (77) which is my problem. I am always so focused on writting the whole paper at once that I dont just stop and focus on the beginning. I believe I will make more of an effort to put her advice to use.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I completely agree with you. The essay had its distracting moments to it, but when you got down to it, she had a few good points. I have the same problem, when I sit down to write, the first copy has to come out perfect. I began to understand Lamott when she showed us that the beginning doesn’t need to be perfect. The first draft is like the “child’s draft.” (75) This is such a clear picture in understanding how to write first drafts.
I do not agree with Kayla. I thought the author stayed on topic the entire time. She did have some instances in the story where she veered off course but I was able to still stay focused on what she was talking about. But I also agree with you though, I did like the comparison of the first draft to a child. Overall you probably just need a little more mental capacity and focus to read this story again.
Post a Comment