Thursday, October 16, 2008

Its Time to Ban Handguns

I did not agree with this essay. Yes I believe guns can hurt people but I believe it is how a person uses a gun that is what a lot of people have a problem with. I think that even if there was a ban on handguns that a person who wanted one badly enough would find what they wanted anyway. And if the people who wanted a gun for protection but the guns were illegal the only people who would have the guns would be the criminals; exactly the people who should not have them in the first place.
The author had very valid points and some which I agreed with, such as harsher punishment for gun crimes and stricter laws on gun possession, but I think that he was only looking at one side. What Lance Morrow wants is a ban on handguns so if this was to happen all police officers would have to carry around rifles. To me that sounds crazy! Please tell me how a police officer is supposed to chase someone down if they have this huge rifle to worry about. I just do not believe that a ban on handguns would solve any of the problems Morrow mentioned. I think that it would led to more illegal acts since everyone who owned one would be breaking the law.

3 comments:

AllisonKogge said...

I have to disagree with your blog. I don’t support the idea of possessing handguns. Owning handguns will be a normal thing to people if the law allowed ordinary people to posses handguns; I don’t think that it is normal to own a handgun. What is questionable is not only the way they will use them but that they will be more comfortable to use it. And people who want handguns while they are illegal, some still do and some are not criminals. And I don’t think Morrow meant all people including policemen to be banned from handguns. I think if the law was actually passed congress or whoever would take into consideration the police uses of handguns.

ADUB said...

I agree with you kayla. i think this is a good post, i think that poeple should be able to conseal and carry handguns. it may be detremantal to the crime rate, but think about all the helpless people it will help that would be defenseless without a gun.

Christopher Goolsby said...

I noticed that someone said that even if people own guns illegally, they are not crimals... That makes them criminals!! I just thought that was an irrelevant arguement and wanted to point that out. I still say that if you want to have a gun concealed, go for it. If you have your Concealed Weapons permit, why not? They have already proven themselves worthy and they could help protect people.